Eggnog Paleo Style
As promised I have tested this recipe for you and can say its a wonderful alternative to the standard high sugar option.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbs Steiva granules – i use Nativa Brand or 20-30 drops of the liquid.
- 2 cups pouring/thin cream
- 2 whole cloves
- Large Pinch of cinnamon
- 4 Tbs Thick/double cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of brandy. (can omit for kid-friendly eggnog)
- In a large bowl, use a whisk the egg yolks until they become a pale yellow colour.
- Add the stevia, mix to combine well.
- Combine the cream, cloves, and cinnamon in a heavy saucepan. Heat slowly on medium heat until the cream mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
- Add a ladle full of the cream mix to the egg mixture – this helps avoid scrambling the eggs. Keep whisking while pouring. Then once the first ladle full is mixed in you can add that mix back to the saucepan and whisk while doing this.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. This step won’t take long as you are using cream instead of milk. (This is the point you can ‘over cook’ the mixture and it may curdle so keen an eye on it.)
- Remove from heat. Strain the mixture to remove the cloves. Let cool for one hour.
- Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, and bourbon/rum and brandy (feel free to omit for kid-friendly eggnog). Chill.
- Serve in small cups (it is so rich you prob won’t need a mug full)
- Top with a tablespoon of double cream and dust with raw caoco powder or cinnamon. You can add more liquid stevia to taste – but I find that the cream is often rich enough that you don’t need it any sweeter.
NB This can be served warm if you desire.
NB2: The alcohol will be broken down to sugars in the body, so if you want to avoid this i’d leave it out – however the small amount that is added is ok if your only having this in moderation!
How do you like your Eggnog; warm or cold?
Happy Paleo Christmas eating