Breakfast; the breakdown.
Aarh, breakfast. Possibly the best meal of the day.
It can be sweet, savoury, big, small, hot, cold, liquid, solid, blended, powdered or blended.
In a cup, in a bowl, on a plate, in a wrapper.
It can be eaten with a spoon, fork, knife, straw or your hands.
You can go casual, get dressed up, drink alcohol that early without judgement.
And always is synonymous with coffee.
But with all that choice we can sometime forget that breakfast is often the most important meal of the day because it is literally ‘breaking (the) fast’ which translates to ‘ we haven’t eaten for 10 or so hours and now we are starving’ (or not hungry, which is a liver thing; more on that later).
So we have the responsibility to our bodies to do it good. It has just spent the last 10 hours in slumber so it can repair and recover from yesterdays stress’, exercise, work, food, alcohol so you can see another day through with ease. So right now you are probably feeling a bit guilty as you shoved white toast, smeared with margarine and jam in your face and then balanced a cup of coffee as you raced to get to work or the school drop off on time. If this sounds familiar than I am really glad to hear that as this is a perfect place for you to start and adapt a tiny change in your daily habits that will see you reap benefits that are 10 fold. congratulations!
Just eat it. If you are currently not then we need to start here. As mentioned above we have just gone 10 hours without food. our bodes are so finely tuned that it will switch over to ‘starvation mode’ and slow our metabolism right down to begin to preserve energy as it thinks there is now a food shortage. So lets prevent this and switch on our metabolism with food.
Quality of the food is equally important. To make this as easy as possible i advise the following guidelines
1. avoid cereal in a colourful box that contains a toy
2. if your bread doesn’t have visible grains or is as white a your sheets – its not ideal (go for dark, dense and grainy bread types)
3. Does your cereal look like nothing in nature i.e. shaped like a toy, square, or coloured? avoid. Go for grains or seeds that look like, well… grains and seeds.
4. Get creative. mix it up. I often add a spoon of this and a spoon or two of something else to avoid boredom.
Best spreadable options:
- Make an avocado smash by spreading avocado and then smashing some fetta or ricotta + cracked pepper onto toast for an easy, low GI, busting with good fats, option.
- Any nut butter i.e. cashew, almond, macadamia (try and avoid peanut butter – unless it is freshly made i.e. at a health food store)
- Tahini + honey for something sweet. Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds – opt for the ‘Unhulled’ option, its usually a darker brown colour, it contains loads of calcium.
- Smash ricotta and berries on to toast with a sprinkle cinnamon for a more cafe style option.
My current fav ‘sit down’ breakfast options is Chia, Linseed and Coconut mix
- 1 tbs chai seeds in 1/4 cup milk or coconut water – let this soak for 5mins so it becomes like a pudding
- 2 tsp LSA or linseed meal
- 1 tsp coconut meal – shaved or shredded
- 1tbs puffed millet (or any other cereal or grain)
- pinch cinnamon and salt
mix everything together and add 1-2 tbs of natural yoghurt and 1/2 cup of seasonal fresh fruit on the top.
My Green frozen pudding breakfast
- 1 frozen banana or Berries if you want a lower sugar count
- 1/4-1/3 cup coconut water (or milk)
- 1tbs chia seed or LSA
- 1 stalk of Kale – remove stem
- a few sprigs of parsley or other green herb you like – lemon balm or mint is good.
- 1-2 tsp of coconut oil/butter (in a liquid form)
- optional add 1 tsp green powder like wheat grass etc)
Blend all ingredients in a blender or bar-mix. It should be firm and frozen. spoon into a glass, sprinkle with coconut shavings and or other nuts. Eat with a spoon or straw.
This is a great low GI breakfast option that you can mix up and take to work with you if needed. It contains loads of fibre and essential omega oils, along with vitamins and minerals that are naturally occurring in the grains, seeds and coconut.
Give it a go – get creative with it. Breakfast is a time for options. If you don’t love your first choice you’ll know for tomorrow and can give it a crack again.
Whats your fav breakfast choice??
i’ll add some takeaway breakfast options for people on the run.